Steve's China Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Parts... more or less (geek warning)

I think I discovered the problem with my motherboard...

I am trying to use two sticks of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 memory in a dual-channel memory configuration. When I purchased my memory I had looked at Corsair's Qualified Vendor List (QVL) and it says that my motherboard supported it, but yesterday I took a closer look at ASUS's QVL for my motherboard. The QVL of the P5N32-E SLI now says that it supports TWIN2X2048-6400C4 memory in either 1 stick in a single-channel memory configuration or 4 sticks as two pairs in a dual-channel memory configuration, but not 2 sticks in a single dual-channel memory configuration.

This leads me to a few options...

  • I can continue to use just one stick of memory (but it seems like a waste to leave the other unused).
  • Wait for ASUS to come out with a new bios to support 2 sticks in a single dual-channel memory configuration (if they ever do support it).
  • Buy another pair of memory here and see if I can get 4 of them running as two pairs of a dual-channel memory (of course, if I want to run 4GB of memory I think I will need to upgrade my OS to Vista or something 64bit. That will most likely present a whole bunch of new problems).
I wonder if 2 sticks would work if I used the oldest bios I could find. I think 2 sticks was supported back then. I will try that after I get back from my trip.

1 Comments:

  • Steve.. I used the patriot RAM and it has never failed me. E mail me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home