Steve's China Blog

Monday, March 05, 2007

Strong winds

It started raining on Saturday night and then the wind came. By Sunday morning we were getting some sleet and the wind kept getting stronger and stronger. By mid-afternoon my broadband connection became very unstable, so I shutdown my computers and decided to have an early dinner and watch some TV. I had started watching a movie that I found after some channel surfing that had English sub-titles which wasn't that good of a movie, but just as I started to get into it the power went out. A little later the water went out too. I'm glad I had an early dinner.

While the power was out there wasn't much to do so I watched the storm some, but there wasn't much light to see it by, so most of the time I spent listening to the wind. After a few hours my power and water came back on, and I watched the movie Ghandi on my computer and then went to bed. This morning I had to go to the store to get some cigarettes before work, and got to see a lot of devastation left by the storm. Lots of debris everywhere, some broken windows (probably from flying debris), signs knocked down, walls knocked down, and even a few small buildings blown down. All of the stores near where I live were closed so they could assess the damage.

I did find this article on a Chinese news site (in English) which talks about the storm and how it effected Dalian, as well as most of the northeast coast:

Strong wind leads to large-scale power failure in NE city

Most of the snow and ice has been melted by the wind, so that isn't too much of a problem. The wind is still heavy, but not as bad as yesterday. We will have to wait and see how long it takes for everyone to recover and fix up all of the damage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home