Steve's China Blog

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Vacation Itinerary

Just a week until my vacation. I am really looking forward to getting away from work and Dalian for a little while. I will be meeting my parents in Beijing on the 27th, and here is what we have planned so far...

We will be in Beijing a few days and we plan on visiting the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, Temple of Heaven, the Great Wall, the Sacred Way, Ming Tomb, the Summer Palace, and the Lama Temple. One night we'll have dinner at the century-old Qianmen Quan Ju De restaurant, which is famous for their Beijing Roast Duck, and we'll also see an acrobatic show.

Then we will head to Xi'an for a few days and there we will be visiting the Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum, the Huaqing Hot Springs, the Banpo Neolithic Village, the Peasant Painting Gallery, the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, the Provincial Museum, the City Wall, and the Great Mosque.

From Xi'an we'll go next to ChengDu. In ChengDu we'll visit the Giant Panda Reserve, the Sanxingdui Museum, Du Fu Grass Hall, and the Da Ci Temple. We'll also enjoy some snacks and tea as we stroll around Jing Li Street beside Wu Hou Ci. One night we're going to have dinner at a friend's house with their parents, and on another night stroll through night markets along Tai Shen North Road and Chun Xi Road.

Next stop is Dalian. I have not made much of a detailed schedule for my parents in Dalian as in the other cities, since I am not sure how much work will be waiting for me when I get back to town. Plus I want to give us all a chance to relax after all of the sightseeing in the other cities. There are a couple of places that I am hoping to show them in Dalian though (such as BinHai Road, XingHai Square, etc...), and I want to take them shopping too. We'll all wait and see how everyone feels when we reach Dalian.

3 Comments:

  • Dear god that's a lot of travelling to some of the most tourist-popular sites in one of China's busiest seasons... as my (soon-to-be) mother-in-law (man that's a lot of hyphens - and parenthesis) is coming to visit us down in Suzhou, and we're planning to do Hangzhou, Shanghai, and Wuxi... I imagine I'll be facing similar battles with flag-following, cap-wearing Chinese.

    Best of luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:04 PM  

  • Yes, but what Mom really wants to know is are you married yet and what shall we call the baby. Lol

    We miss you bud. Haven't done Renn Faire yet. We haven't found a suitable Stunt Steve yet :-).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:57 AM  

  • @Ryan,

    A lot to see, but I think it'll be fun. I think it will give my parents a whole new definition of crowded.

    @Greg,
    Be sure to go to the Renn Faire this Sunday (9/24) to get pictures of Keri's wedding for me! The wedding is at the St. George's Chapel located up the hill from the Fortune Stage at 11am. Thanks! :)

    By Blogger Steve Harms, at 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home