Steve's China Blog

Monday, August 21, 2006

Dinner and a DVD

Yesterday I had some friends over for dinner. Since they were nice enough to cook Sichuan food and Indian food for me in the past I thought I would treat them to some Tex-Mex. It took me awhile to narrow down my selection of dishes, but it was finally decided by which ingredients I could not find (limes and cilantro), and the fact that Vanessa (who is from India) did not eat beef. The main entree was Pork and Peppers Fajitas (recipe here), and the sides were Arroz Con Pollo (recipe here) and Refried Beans. It took me a few weeks to find all of the ingredients and the last two (tortillas and jalapenos) I found only the day before.

I had five guests and everyone showed up at around 4:30, and since I still had some cooking to do I set out chips and salsa for everyone to munch on while they watched some TV. Every once in awhile some of my guests would come in to help, but the kitchen is kind of small for so many people, so I generally let only one or two come in and help out. My helpers were great! :)

Everyone seemed to like the food, and since they were from places that usually ate spicy food they liked the jalapenos too. I had also bought some corn bread, peaches and ice cream for dessert, but everyone was too full for dessert.

After dinner we watched the movie Practical Magic on DVD. Everyone knew who Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman were, but none of them had seen this movie. Everone enjoyed the movie very much. After the movie was over it was kind of late, so everyone went home. I spent the rest of the evening tidying up a little and enjoyed a few Coronas.

2 Comments:

  • I can't believe I'm moving in two days and I've finally heard that there are tortillas in Dalian!!!!

    Did you also find tortilla chips? Or were they regular chips? And salsa!?!! Home made! My god man, I thought I thought I was doing good because I made Chilli Con Carne the other night... but you topped me two-fold.

    Hmmm... Practical Magic? Major chick flick ;-) I'm a sensitive guy, but I just didn't get it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:35 PM  

  • Actually, I used the spring cake pancakes. They're as close to tortillas as I could find. I found the corn chips and salsa at Metro. I also found Doritos at Mykal... nacho cheese and cool ranch flavored.

    By Blogger Steve Harms, at 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home