Steve's China Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Looking both ways?

About half way home last night the cab I was riding in hit a pedestrian. There is not a lot of traffic here at midnight, but these two ladies were just running across the street without even looking to see if any cars were coming. Luckily the cab driver saw them and hit the brakes, so that when he hit this lady he was not going fast. I am not sure how badly injured she was... there was no bleeding I could see and she was conscious. The cab driver had to stay at the scene and he hustled me into the first cab that came along, so I do not know how it all ended.

This was the third pedestrian that I've seen here in Dalian get hit by an automobile. Just a few years ago not many people here in China drove cars, but now there are cars everywhere and that means there are literally millions of inexperienced drivers which makes the traffic situation very dangerous. I never really thought about it before until I saw these ladies run out into the street last night, but it also means there are literally millions of inexperienced pedestrians here too! Just about everyone herre was use to dodging bicycles up until recently, and I am not sure if anyone ever taught them the "look both ways before crossing the street" lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home