Steve's China Blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

My feet hurt...

...but it was worth it.

Saturday night I attended a party at the SwissHotel that was put together by Dalian Software Park for the new Foreign Employees Club that they had just formed. I found out right before I went that I would be the only person from IBM attending and they would expect me to give a little speech congratulating Dalian Software Park for forming the club, etc... They were expecting about 120 people at the party, but only about 80 made it. I was the only one from the U.S., and there were 3 people from South Korea, 3 from Australia, and the rest were from Japan.

The party was held as a buffet in an open courtyard and I ended up sitting with the two organizers of the party and a gentleman from Japan. After the initial introductions people from various companies started to give speeches (there were translators), and before I had to give my speech I mentioned to one of the organizers that the chilly weather might be bothering people and that they would feel warmer after they started eating, so he asked everyone to start having dinner, and I didn't have to give a speech. They also had some entertainment; such as musicians, singers, martial artists etc... I didn't have to give my speech, had some very good food and entertainment, and I got to meet some very nice people (including some very nice Japanese ladies), so I had a good time there.



On Sunday evening I attended another party at the Shangri-La Hotel that was thrown for the single employees at IBM (above). We had a really good DJ and a band that played for awhile too. I think I was there maybe ten minutes before some ladies dragged me out onto the dance floor, and I rarely got a chance to take a break before another lady would have me back there. I made the mistake of wearing my boots, which are heavier than my dress shoes, so my feet and ankles were feeling funny the next day due to all of the dancing that I did. I don't think I have danced that much since... well, never. It was a great chance to socialize with my co-workers away from the office, and I had a great time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home