Steve's China Blog

Monday, August 15, 2005

What's in a name?



If you could pick a new name what would you choose? Most Chinese that I have met here that have started learning English select an English first name for themselves. I was kind of curious why people picked certain names. A lot of people pick names because they like the sound of it, or it sounds similiar to their Chinese name, or they use the name of some westerner they admire. Of course, it works both ways... I have a Chinese name also. It's Yi Shu (pronounced Eee Shoe) which means a great book or a great read, and is pictured above in Chinese. I let my friends and co-workers here pick my name, and they chose this name since I seem to be very knowledable about a great many things. I like it.

Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home