Steve's China Blog

Monday, September 24, 2007

In the US

On Saturday I flew from ChengDu to Beijing. Even though the flight was a half hour late taking off it was the best flight I have had on Air China. Their service has really improved since the last time I flew on them. Since the flight was late I had to really rush through Beijing airport to catch my connection to Washington DC. Luckily the airport was not as crowded as I thought it would be and I had a chance to do some quick shopping at the duty-free store and made it to my flight with about 15 minutes to spare.

This flight was the first one I had that was a direct flight from Beijing to Washington DC. Usually I have to stop in Chicago or San Francisco, which makes the trip longer, so my total trip time was only 18 hours rather than the usual 22 or so hours. The flight was not very crowded, and the nearest crying baby was several rows away, so it was a nice flight. The nicotine gum really helped too.

My flight from Beijing even arrived about 40 minutes early, and I made it through customs pretty quickly and met up with my parents who had come to pick me up at the airport. From there we went to Rio Grande restaurant in Reston, and met up with my friend Les. We ate some great food (I recommend their fajitas) and chatted for a long time, catching up on what has been happening here. I even discovered that Les had gotten married back in February... Congrats Les and Lynn!

While we were in Reston I spent some time just people watching. It is kind of interesting to see all the people who had come out to Reston on a Saturday night. Big people, little people, blonds, red-heads, brunettes, etc... There was one young couple there with 5 young children. Just a lot of little things that you do not see much of in China.

On Sunday I just relaxed, and in the afternoon I went over to my parent's country club to watch the Redskins play the New York Giants. My parents were playing golf, and when they finished they joined me there for dinner and the second half of the game. The game was a lot of fun to watch, even though the Redskins let a 17 - 3 lead slip away and lost the game. A big steak and an afternoon of NFL was very nice. Today I am just going to hang out and relax. Tomorrow I am hoping to do a little shopping.


Post a Comment

<< Home