Steve's China Blog

Monday, May 10, 2010

An article

A few weeks ago I read this article in the New York Times....

More American Expatriates Give Up Citizenship

“What we have seen is a substantial change in mentality among the overseas community in the past two years,” said Jackie Bugnion, director of American Citizens Abroad, an advocacy group based in Geneva. “Before, no one would dare mention to other Americans that they were even thinking of renouncing their U.S. nationality. Now, it is an openly discussed issue.”

Now, first off... I am not planning on giving up my US citizenship. No worries there.

Since I first read this article a few weeks ago I have gotten to talk to a dozen or so US citizens who live and work here in Chengdu about it. I was kind of surprised that all of them had either read the article or they had heard about it. All of the people I talked to said they had no plans to renounce their citizenship, but what was interesting was that almost all of the people I talked to said they had no interest in going back to the US, and it had nothing to do with taxes or banking like the article suggests.

2 Comments:

  • So, then, what did it have to do with?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:04 AM  

  • Well, most people said they were not going back because "those damn politicians have ruined the country".

    By Blogger Steve Harms, at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home