Steve's China Blog

Monday, May 08, 2006

Dui bu qi

I think it's going to take me awhile to get use to waking up early and going to work now that I am on my new schedule. The waking up is not the hard part, but for me the hard part is dealing with the commute. On my old schedule I usually did not go to work until around 11:00am, so when I got on the bus it was never crowded. The bus ride in at 8:30am this morning was very very crowded.

I don't really like being in crowds as it is (which are almost impossible to avoid in China), but a lot of the people are also extremely rude with the pushing, shoving, and stepping on you and they never say, "Dui bu qi" (excuse me). I have been here almost 15 months and only two people have ever said this to me.

I have mentioned this rude behavior before, but just to give you an idea of how bad it is the Chinese government is now becoming embarrassed. With more and more Chinese starting to travel outside of China it is ruining their image. They are even starting up a public etiquette campaign to help teach people manners. I'm not sure if, and when, anything will change... Changing the behavior of so many people will be difficult. Here is an interesting article about it.

1 Comments:

  • Bet you wouldn't be saying anything if they were dressed in Pirate Gear and a low cut bodice.

    Renn Faire Rules, Lol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home