Steve's China Blog

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Cigars, food, and chinese

I had mentioned in a past post that I had found a tobacco store, but it was closed when I went there. I went there again the other day and they were open! Most of the store sells cartons of cigarettes to other sellers, but they had a small section where individuals could buy cigarettes, pipe tobacco, and cigars. They had a lot of cigars from Cuba and a few from Dominican Republic. They really wanted me to buy their cuban cigars, but I bought some Don Antonio Pellegrino Robusto's from Dominican Republic. After I explained (through a little electronic translation device I had bought a few days earlier) that I thought cuban cigars were over-rated they laughed and nodded knowingly. I think they have a lot of trouble pushing the cuban ones. The Robusto's I bought are really nice. The wrapper burns clean and light with a perfect ash and a sweet vanilla flavor. It has a very smooth draw and a creamy, nutty flavor. I'm going to have to go back and try the Churchill's after I finish these.

I found out the other day that they are going to be opening a Popeye's near where I live! Yeah! Ok, it's not a gourmet resturant, but I am really looking forward to it. I have no idea what is going to be on their menu, but it will be closer than the McDonalds and KFC, and it will be different. I also discovered a nice little resturant run by a family from Turkey. From what I could gather, this guy met a chinese women in Turkey, they fell in love, got married, and moved back to China. The food is a mix of middle eastern and chinese, and the atmosphere is middle eastern. It's really good and they also have the best bread I've had here in Dalian. There's a few muslim resturants in town, but I like this one the best.

We started something new in our chinese language class. We now have to start the class by saying what we have done since the last class in chinese. Unfortunaly, mine always start with "Zoutian wo budebu gongzou dao zaoshang sandian" (yesterday I had to work until 3:00 in the morning). Perhaps I should start doing part of my blog in chinese! That will be strange. I'll have to think about that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home