Steve's China Blog

Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Bowl @ Shamrock

Not too much happened last week, except work. I even worked during the weekend so that I could take off a few days at the end of Spring Festival. Having seven days off will be very nice, even though I do not have anything planned.

This morning I woke up real early and headed over to the Shamrock Pub to watch the Super Bowl. I got there at 6:30am, and there were only three of us there then. It filled up very quickly and by kickoff we had about 40 to 50 people. I was not aware that we had so many Americans in ChengDu.


Some of the people watching the Super Bowl at the Shamrock Pub

Most of the people were rooting for the Patriots and only a few were rooting for the Giants. I'm a Redskins fan, so I figured I would root for the underdogs. Besides, the Redskins beat the Giants once this year but lost to the Patriots.

A few of the people there (mostly die-hard Patriot and Giant fans) must have taken the day off and started drinking beer right after breakfast.


A busy place early in the morning

It was way too early for me to have beer. It was also a work day, so no beer for me (drats!). Since the second half of the game was during the beginning of my work day I had my computer with me, and I logged on and did some work while the game was playing. If they didn't have wi-fi I probably wouldn't have even gone.

The video of the game was from a Thailand sports station called True Visions, and the audio was from the US. The audio seemed to be about one play behind the video which was kind of strange. It was also kind of weird that True Visions did not show any commercials during the game. Without the commercials the game seemed to go by a lot quicker, but the game ran in the usual amount of time.

Anyways, it was a fun and unusual way to spend a morning. It was also really great to see some real football for a change!

1 Comments:

  • I went over to Geoff Shotts house for the game, live last year, and the year before that. You probably remember Geoff. He went to the Ren Faire with us a couple of years ago.

    He always has great food. He has one of those old Star Wars video games we used to play at Space Port on High St too. The Force was with me last night.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home