Steve's China Blog

Thursday, January 17, 2008

The missing cookie

When my parents came to visit me in China last year one of the first questions my Father asked was, "No fortune cookies?". This morning I discovered this interesting article:

Solving a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside a cookie


Some 3 billion fortune cookies are made each year, almost all in the United States. But the crisp cookies wrapped around enigmatic sayings have spread around the world. They are served in Chinese restaurants in Britain, Mexico, Italy, France and elsewhere...

...But there is one place where fortune cookies are conspicuously absent: China.

It's a pretty interesting article. I guess the real reason there are no fortune cookies in China is that there are no Chinese restaurants here that are run by Americans or Japanese.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home