Steve's China Blog

Monday, August 07, 2006

Good pasta, good beer, and great company

Last week's work week was pretty busy, so when I finally finished work on Friday I went home and just wanted to relax and do nothing. After dinner though I got a call from my boss and he wanted me to come join him and some others at the Beer Festival going on here, so I went over there and had a few beers with them. The festival started to wind down at around 11:00pm, and everyone wanted to continue to party, so we all went to a karaoke place nearby. After about an hour there I left since I was pretty tired.

Last week I was talking to my friend Phyllis and she wanted to learn how to make spaghetti, so we met up on Saturday afternoon and went shopping for ingredients at a grocery store here called Mykal. I had not been to Mykal before, but had heard they had some western food for sale there. While we were getting the stuff to make spaghetti I found they had ranch dressing for sale, and so we got stuff to make a salad too! Usually the only salad dressing I have been able to find here is Russian dressing and something that resembles mayonaise, so I was happy finding the ranch dressing. Oh, I should mention that Phyllis looked really lovely on Saturday and I wish I had had my camera. :)

Anyways, after we got the food we needed we went back to my place and cooked up some spaghetti sauce and noodles. For the sauce we used ground beef, onion, green bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, and diced tomatoes. Salad was lettuce, chopped carrot, chopped broccoli, and ranch dressing. Phyllis liked the spaghetti, but did not care much for the ranch dressing... I guess that's why they don't sell a lot of it here.

After dinner we went to the Beer Festival, and the first place we went to was the German beer hall which was run by Paulaner Brewhouse and they had a German band called Take Five. The crowd here was much rowdier than the other places at the beer festival that I had been to, and it was a lot of fun. After spending awhile in the German place we went to try another place to see what other entertainment there was. We went to a place that sold Pearl River beer and watched some shows there until the festival was getting ready to close for the night.

On Sunday I went to a beach here in Dalian with some co-workers. We hung out and grilled kabobs and such, and spent some time chatting. After awhile some of the ladies wanted to play cards and after watching them play a game that I do not know how to play I went home. It was getting a bit warm and I was a little tired from going the beer festival two nights in a row. Later that day I had dinner with a friend at Brandos pizza, and spent the rest of the day just being lazy and relaxing.

1 Comments:

  • awe... I missed the beer festival. I had a blast at that thing last year... much to the protests of my head the next morning.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home