Steve's China Blog

Monday, July 31, 2006

A long week

Here's a quick rundown of the last week or so...

Last Monday -

Me: I'm having network connection problems.
IT Support: We can wipe your hard drive and reinstall the OS.
Me: There must be a better way to fix this problem.
IT Support: Reinstall is the fastest way to fix.

Tuesday -

Me: I've tried a couple of things to fix this problem, but it still isn't working.
IT Support: We can wipe your hard drive and reinstall the OS.
Me: Can you recommend something else less drastic?
IT Support: Reinstall is the fastest way to fix.

Tuesday night I was invited to a friend's house for dinner. Her parents are visiting for a few weeks from Chengdu, and her father wanted to cook us some Sichuan food. We had clams with hot chilis, chicken with hot chilis, fish with hot chilis, tofu soup with hot chilis, string beans with a hot chili dipping sauce, and roasted hot chilis. At one point Jackie's father asked me if the food was too hot and I told him I liked it hot, so he added more chilis. It was wonderful! :)

Wednesday -

Me: I've tried a couple more things to fix this problem, but it still isn't working.
IT Support: We can wipe your hard drive and reinstall the OS.
Me: Surely, you can fix this without reinstalling everything.
IT Support: Reinstall is the fastest way to fix.

Wednesday after work I got together with ChoonMae for a walk through Xinghai Park. I have been to Xinghai Square, but I have never been to Xinghai Park, and it was very nice. We found two places there where people were dancing. One was like a group aerobic dancing and the other was ballroom dancing. It seems the Chinese love dancing too. After our walk we went to a hotpot place and had dinner. I wish we could have stayed out longer, but we both had to get up early the next day.

Thursday -

Me: I can not think of anything else to try to fix this.
IT Support: We can fix it.
Me: Great! I'll be right back!

... 5 minutes later...

Me: Uh, what are you doing?
IT Support: Wiping your hard drive and reinstalling the OS.

So, it's Thursday night... the first night of the International Beer Festival in Dalian and my birthday, and guess how I spent the night... Reinstalling and upgrading software on my laptop computer. At least the network problem is gone (for now). I'm not sure what time I called it quits and went to bed, but they are doing a lot of construction on some new apartment complexes next door and they wake me up just about every morning at around 6:00am.

On Friday some friends and co-workers want to go to the beer festival after work, but I have a lot of work to do and do not get out of the office until late. I make it out to the beer festival later that night, and eventually find my friends. I was hoping to run into ChoonMae there, since she is there with her co-workers but I never found her.

Saturday I wake up early (not by choice), and decide not to go to an IBM team building event at some karaoke place and stay home during the day. Maybe I'll get a nap in after lunch! Nah, they are also doing some renovation work in the apartment next door, and it's loud! I doubt if they are using a jack-hammer, but it sure sounds like it. Saturday night I go to an IBM Singles Party. This year's was different than last year's party... Last year we just danced and this year they just played games to try and get people to know each other. It was fun, but since my Chinese is not that good I am not sure what the rules were.

Sunday I went shopping for DVDs and much needed groceries. I have not been cooking at home much since I am waiting for them to get the part to fix my AC (still). Luckily, the weather is still pleasant. So I cooked some pasta and watched some DVDs (Superman Returns and Dead Man's Chest). It is going to be a long day at work on Monday so I went to bed early. The beer festival is being held next door in Xinghai Square, and I had not noticed earlier how loud it is. Good thing it does not run past midnight.

I need a vacation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home