Steve's China Blog

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

After the holiday

Things have been pretty busy for me after returning to work after the Chinese New Year holiday. The weather is also starting to warm up a little, which is nice. My friend Cindy came over to visit on Valentine's Day. We talked about going out to a restaurant, but decided they would be very crowded that evening. We ordered a pizza and watched a few DVDs.

One of the DVDs we watched was a movie called Little Miss Sunshine (rated R). I had not seen this movie before, but had bought the DVD a few months ago after someone recommended it to me. The story is about a dysfunctional family traveling from New Mexico to California, so that their little girl can compete in a pageant. Although I thought some parts were funny and a bit clever, this isn't really the type of comedy that I prefer. I don't really enjoy laughing at the suffering of others.

Thursday was Lantern Festival, which is the last day of Spring Festival. It was also the last day of huge fireworks displays that start at the beginning of Spring Festival. The fireworks on Thursday evening went off until some time around 2:00 or 3:00am. Luckily for me my work shift was changing from an early shift to the regular shift the next day, so I got to sleep in a little later than before.

On Sunday I went to the Shangri-La Hotel with Reese for the buffet at the Cafe Z. They were having a Korean Food themed feast, and it was quite good. Not everything on the buffet was Korean, so we also enjoyed some Chinese food (mostly Sichuan and Cantonese dishes) and some Japanese food too. There are a lot of places that have better buffets than the Shangri-La, but none that I know of that have as many selections. It was good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home