Steve's China Blog

Monday, May 25, 2009

Trips and Treks

The weekend before last I sprained my foot real bad. Sometimes you go some place and the floors are not level and there will be a little ledge about an inch or two high, which sometimes is hard to see. I didn't see this one and tripped and twisting my foot. Anyways, I took it easy last week and tried to stay off my foot when I could. I was suppose to go to JinLi Street with my friend Jessie, but we postponed that until this weekend.

By this Saturday my foot was feeling better and I could walk ok. The painful thing was walking downstairs most of the time. On Saturday morning I met up with Jessie and we went over to JinLi Street.


Some vendors on JinLi Street


Some giant chopsticks hanging outside a chopstick shop

JinLi Street is setup like a market street from ancient times. The decorations and things look like old Chinese, but a lot of the shops, restaurants, and tea houses are modern.


Some of the locals touring JinLi Street


Hanging out by one of the fish ponds

There's even a Starbucks there. Jessie and I spent a few hours wandering around JinLi Street visiting the shops and watching the people.


A paint brush seller


The lovely Jessie posing for a picture


A rickshaw makes the rounds


A place to get your ears cleaned


Some ladies working with silk


Real silk worms... real ugly

By the time we made it to the area that has a lot of little food stands I was starting to get hungry, so I got a kabob with some pork on it.


One of the many snack sellers on JinLi Street


Mmmm.... pork fat rules

A little while after that we went to a little restaurant and had some lunch... Noodles, dim sum, and some cucumbers. It was pretty good and Jessie was nice enough to pay for lunch. Thanks Jessie!


Inside a little restaurant


A tasty lunch

Later that afternoon I met up with a few of my co-workers. We have a program at work to give people the opportunity to practice their spoken English and I am their mentor, and this was an ad-hoc activity that I scheduled for them. We all went to Wanda Plaza to see the new Star Trek movie. A friend of mine from Canada named Richard also joined us. We watched the movie in English with Chinese sub-titles. The movie was really good, and everyone had a good time. After the movie a few of us went to a nearby Japanese/Korean restaurant for dinner and discussed the movie.

On Sunday I just relaxed at home and did some preparations for my trip. Oh, that's right... I have not told you about my trip I am taking! Awhile back I saw this website and was thinking of going on a hunting trip...

Welcome to Somali Cruises

It's like a safari, only better

"Safari" is the Swahili word for adventure and that's just what we have in store for you.

We sail up and down the coast of Somalia waiting to get hijacked by pirates. We encourage you to bring your 'High powered weapons' along on the cruise. If you don't have weapons of your own, you can rent them on the boat.

Actually, I think that website is a joke. Pretty funny stuff...

"Like ducks in a barrel. They turned the ship around and we saw them cry in the water like little girls. Saw one wounded pirate eaten by sharks--what a laugh riot! This is a must do."
-- Zeke, Springs Kentucky USA

Just kidding! Actually, my real trip is going to be to Hawaii! I've never been to Hawaii, so I am looking forward to going. My friend Jackie invited me and we've been planning it for awhile now. Wednesday afternoon I will fly up to Beijing, and then on Thursday we fly from Beijing to Big Island with stopovers in Tokyo and Honolulu. Our plan is to spend a few days on Big Island and then a few days on Oahu. I'll post more about the trip either as it's happening or after I get back next month. Aloha!

1 Comments:

  • Hawaii is great Steve. The colors are so vivid there it doesn't look real. Make sure to go to Oahu if you can and go scuba diving (or snorkeling) with the turtles. I went there years back to do a remote broadcast with a radio station and still enjoyed it while working. Helicopter rides are fun, but very expensive. That was the nice part of working, I didn't pay for it. Cheers Bud you will love it. PS Hawaiian shirts are defintely the norm. You will blend nicely. :-)

    By Anonymous Greg, at 3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home