Steve's China Blog

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII

I woke up very early on Monday morning and headed over to Hooters. I got there at around 6:30am, and by 7:00am there were about a half dozen or so people there to watch the Super Bowl. There were only two places who were showing the game in town that morning... Hooters and the Shamrock, and since I went to the Shamrock to watch the game last year I decided to see how it would be at Hooters.

At around 7:00am the ESPN at Hooters was still showing some National Spelling Bee competition from Washington DC, so something wasn't right. A little checking revealed that the Super Bowl was being broadcast on ESPN Hong Kong, but the channel they had at Hooters was ESPN Philippines. The staff at Hooters was very disappointed, and all us customers headed over to the Shamrock. Luckily we got there and got a table before kickoff.

A couple weeks ago I was talking to one of the assistant managers at Shamrock, and mentioned that they should serve an American breakfast during the Super Bowl. Usually they serve an English (Irish?) breakfast... eggs, bacon, toast, and baked beans. She didn't know that Americans ate a different breakfast than other western countries, so I recommended steak, eggs, and hash brown potatoes. I was kind of surprised when I showed up on Monday morning and they had steak and eggs on the menu. Yum!


Early morning crowd watching the Super Bowl

Another thing that surprised me was that they had margaritas and tequila shots on the menu and there were people buying those that early in the morning. A lot of people were also drinking beer with their breakfast. Luckily (or is it unlucky?), I can not drink that early in the day. Oh well... I had to go to work in the afternoon, so beer was not a good idea anyways.

We had somewhere around 70 people there to watch the game. I am not sure if there were any Cardinals or Steelers fans there. A few people were wearing Patriots jerseys, one person had a Raiders jersey, another person had on a Packers jersey, and I was wearing a Redskins jersey, but I didn't see any Cardinals or Steelers wear. Most people seemed to be rooting for the Cardinals, since they were the underdogs. There was at least one guy there from Australia, and I think it was the first time he had ever watched American football.


Checking some game stats on their laptops?

The one thing missing was the commercials. ESPN Hong Kong only showed ESPN ads. It was a pretty exciting game though, and no one really knew who was going to win until the very end. After the game I headed back to my apartment to work the rest of the day. I wonder what the Chinese were thinking when they saw dozens of Americans walking out of a bar at 11:00am that day.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home