Steve's China Blog

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Thanksgiving dinners

I was talking to a friend a few days before Thanksgiving about places that serve turkey in Chengdu, and he told me that the best place to go was Peter's Tex-Mex. They had reservations there for Friday night, and that I could come join them and bring a friend as well. I asked Kitty to come along, and since she had never had turkey before she wanted to go.

They had two dinner set menus for Thanksgiving. We both had the traditional dinner which included: hot mulled apple cider, pumpkin soup, waldorf salad, roast turkey, mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, sweet potatoes, gravy and cranberries, pumpkin pie or key lime pie, tea or coffee. It was very good! Kitty didn't care much for the turkey, but liked the rest of it.

On Saturday some friends called me and wanted to go out to the Cotton Club that evening. I decided to go with them, but couldn't stay out late since I was on call for work. We decided we wanted to go out some place to eat before going out clubbing, but where should we go? Well, Peter's has a place right near the Cotton Club, so we went there! ShiBun is from China and Michael and Al are from France, so they have never had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner so that is what we all had. Everyone seemed to have enjoyed the dinner a lot.

After dinner we went over to the Cotton Club for a few drinks and some chatting. It was kind of funny... ShiBun speaks Chinese and Japanese, but her English is a bit so-so. Michael speaks French, English and his Chinese is ok. Al can speak French and English but his Mandarin Chinese is poor. I can speak English, but my French is poor and my Chinese is so-so. There was a lot of translating going on whenever anyone said something. It was a fun and very interesting evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home