Steve's China Blog

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dragon Boat Festival

This last weekend was a holiday called Dragon Boat Festival. This is one of the older traditional Chinese holidays revived by the government here in 2008. Since the holiday fell on Sunday we got Monday off. As far as I know there were no dragon boat races in ChengDu... maybe because of the earthquake. You can find more information about the holiday here.

On Friday night I went out with some co-workers to have hotpot downtown. The dinner was very good, but right before we finished a big rain storm rolled into town. It was still raining pretty heavily when we left the restaurant and it was hard to find a taxi. Even though a few of us had umbrellas we were soaking wet by the time we did get a taxi. I was worried I was going to wake up with a cold the next day, but luckily I didn't.

I spent Saturday just hanging around the apartment, doing laundry, playing on the computer, and napping. It was pretty relaxing. I was hoping to get together in the evening with Misha, but she wasn't feeling well. After dinner I watched Ratatouille in Chinese with English sub-titles. It was kind of funny to hear someone speaking Chinese with a French accent, and I found I could understand more of the conversations then I thought I would be able to.

On Sunday I went over to Reese's place and had lunch with her, her mother, her sister, and her sister's boyfriend. It was a really good lunch, but I ate too much. After lunch Reese helped me with my Chinese, and then later in the afternoon I went back to my apartment and just spent the rest of the afternoon napping. For dinner I went out to Shamrock and had a chicken pizza and a beer.

On Monday a friend of mine named Amber came over to my place and we decided to go to a restaurant near my apartment for lunch and have Lao Ya Tang (old duck soup). It was very good, but the weather was a bit warm for it. It would be great to have in the winter though. After lunch we went for a walk and ended up walking all over the place. It had rained earlier in the day, so the air seemed really nice out. We spent the rest of the afternoon laying around and watching TV. For dinner I cooked spaghetti for us, and then we watched a few DVDs. It was a nice way to spend a holiday.

2 Comments:

  • I think I'm beginning to notice a trend in these stories, Steve.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 PM  

  • Hey, spring and summer in a country with over 600 million women is real nice. :)

    By Blogger Steve Harms, at 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home