Steve's China Blog

Monday, February 28, 2005

Chinese TV

I didn't do too much this weekend. Did laundry and watched a lot of chinese TV. I figured I could watch the TV and say what they say to help with my pronunciation, but they sure talk fast. I tried watching some of my DVDs last night with the language in chinese, and the sub-titles in english. The first one had the english sub-titles from a completely different movie, and the other DVD was in japanese instead of chinese. I'll have to try the rest of them when I get a chance.

As I watched the chinese TV shows I started to wonder where China is heading. It's a strange mix of communism and capitalism. The people seem to love western products and ideas. From what I've been able to tell from my short time here now, and from my last trip here in 2001 (China Trip 2001), is that the goverment has been allowing the people to venture into capitalism a little at a time. Every year or so they make it easier to earn more, invest, etc... I saw something funny on TV the other day... there was some rah-rah show on about the communist revolution and all that crap, and they went to a commercial and it had an actor dressed up like Mao selling a product! Poor Mao must be turning over in his grave. It will be interesting to see what changes will take place in the next few years, especially after the olympics are held here in 2008.

Oh, by the way.... I'm turning off comments since I can't read them or respond to them. Sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home